Monday, June 21, 2010

Weekend in Key West

This past weekend, my friend, Deborah, came to Key West for a visit. Deborah and I have known each other since we were in 5th grade which makes her my longest running friendship - going on 30 years now. She brought her Dad, Charlie [aka Chop], whom I also have known for 30 years. She was meeting up with a couple who used to be her neighbors in Lakeland, FL, Mary Sue and George, who came down to Key West to celebrate their wedding anniversary. Also joining her was another couple whom Deborah has known since her early college days in Costa Rico, Rich and Carol who currently reside in nearby Islamorada at the Sea Base Boy Scout Facility. I had met both couples before, so when Deb called and asked if I'd like to come down and join them I thought it sounded like a good time. I arrived at The Grand just a little after 4pm where I found everyone gathered and waiting to get the evening started. We started off walking towards Duvall St.
Since it was Charlie's [picture left] first time, he had a list of some of the more touristy destinations that he wanted to visit. First stop was Margaritaville. We all ordered fruity, frozen drinks and Charlie shopped for souvenirs. Next was Fat Tuesday's for another round of fruity, frozen drinks. Then Captain Tony's for a Pirate Punch, The White Tarpon for a Key Lime Martini, and then to Mallory Square to watch the sunset. Afterward, we crossed The Hog's Breath Saloon off of Charlie's list where more drinks and souvenirs were purchased and then it was time for a bite to eat. Fogarty's was nearby and looked inviting with all of it's outdoor seating and we ordered appetizers and split a couple of sandwiches. After filling our bellies, we hailed a cab and headed back to the hotel to turn in for the night.

The next morning had us setting off to finish up the list at the Southernmost Point with a stop at the Southernmost Beach Cafe for bloody mary's. After that, we dropped in the outdoor bar at La Te Da for more bloody mary's for some and iced tea for me. Then a slice of pizza was in order and a walk back to the hotel.


The highlight of the weekend was still to come. Rich had made a phone call early in the day to a friend with a sailboat and asked if he was willing to take us out for a sunset cruise. The cool thing about it was I knew the owner of the boat and his wife, as they had been residents in Boot Key Harbor last year. I was looking forward to seeing Julie and Hammer again...as well as his dog, Stevie, and her cat, Toni.

We met up at the Jewel of Athena around 6:30 with bags of ice and a bottle of rum, dropped the lines, and pushed off from the dock. After a short bit of motoring, the sails were hoisted and the motor silenced as we sailed by Mallory Square and past several other boats out for the same reason we were.

We had good wind and great time. Hammer even let me take the helm for a bit. We returned to the docks just after dark and Hammer brought out his guitar and serenaded us with several songs.

We eventually made our leave and headed to The Rum Barrel for a late-night bite to eat...I had the patty melt and it was fabulous.
And I don't even feel guilty about the late night indulgence since we walked all the way back to the hotel afterward.

I returned to Marathon early this Monday morning to do the Cruiser's Net [VHF Channel 68 @ 9am] and put my feet up for a bit.
Deb and her Dad will by stopping by Marathon tomorrow on their way back to the mainland and I look forward to their visit.

Thanks for the invite, Deb!
It was fun.