Tuesday, January 19, 2010

asdfjkl; ?

The asdfjkl; keys on the new Dell Inspiron laptop have mysteriously stopped working. They suffered no trauma or spills, and no other keys except those known as the "home" keys have been affected. Weird, huh?
I did a restart.
I did a system restore.
I ran the virus software...again.
@ some point, I figured out how to pull up the on-screen keyboard...you try to communicate without your home keys! It's only slightly worse than trying to type with the on-screen keyboard.
I did a google search. It came right up: "asdfjkl; keys not working" but everyone had theories, no answers.
I contacted Dell through "Live Chat" & waited while 74 other people received assistance.
Zaheer [of course], my Dell representative, seems to think it's a hardware problem & is sending us a new keyboard which I will have to figure out how to install. Zaheer says it's easy. Zaheer barely speaks english that I am capable of understanding...he had to call me once he remotely disconnected my internet connection...yet he has the utmost confidence in my abilities.
We'll see.
& then we'll see if it truly fixes the problem.
In the meantime, this on-screen keyboard sucks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Misty: pretty sure all you do w/a new keyboard is plug it in. No install needed. Good luck.

Lisa & Steve

Just Misty said...

On a desktop, that would be true but in the case of a laptop there are screws beneath the battery that once removed allow me to access screws on the top to remove pieces to get to the keyboard...
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1545/en/SM/keyboard.htm#wp1179891

Angela said...

It shouldn't be too hard, just don't lose the screws :) I'd wager you can blame the salty, humid air.

Momma said...

Based upon past experience with you and computer related tasks, I have total faith that YOU CAN DO THIS!

capndeb said...

You know, Lew had a similar issue with a company laptop once, and the replacement keyboard did the trick! Hope it works for you.

Just Misty said...

The new keyboard came and after 2 failed installation attempts [the first time I forgot to plug the keyboard cable in. The 2nd time I didn't plug it in well enough or close the connector latch] the 3rd try got it it all fixed and up and running - asdfjkl; !