Monday, February 13, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

Well now that's it February, I am slightly overdue on writing about my birthday which was January 11th.  This year, my birthday fell on a Wednesday and instead of taking the day off, I opted to not mess with the schedule and keep my 3 day weekend intact.  The up side is that I was scheduled to work the garden center that day...a nice, low-key, low stress kind of day and technically it was now my "Friday."

Jeff met me after work with a cocktail and then we had a nice, "date night" dinner at Frank's Italian Grill.  I had escargot and veal...not at the same time, but both very tasty.

The next day started with a bottle of Champagne and a dinghy ride to Burdine's for fuel and french fries.  Burdine's makes the best fries and it was a great way to start the day.  The rest of the day was spent imbibing and relaxing on the boat.  Thursday nights at the marina are "Movie Night" and in honor of my birthday I got to pick the movie.  I chose Grosse Point Blank - one of favorite all time movies.  If you haven't seen it, you should.  The soundtrack in itself is well worth the watch. We went to shore a bit before sunset and joined the festivities.  A friend of ours had made me [by special request] Puerto Rican eggnog or "coquito" and I had the jug of it in tow.  I shared quite a bit of my eggnog treasure, but by the end of the night it did me in and it was time to go home.

Mystery Booze Birthday Jello Bear
The next day I slept in late and recovered. 
I had to be ready for Girl's Night! 
Hilary was to be our hostess on the new Ship O' Fools for the evening.  We had lots of girls, lots of food, and lots of fun!  One of best parts was the giant jello "gummy" bear made by friends Jenny and Matt and soaked in booze! I had a great night of dinner, dancing, and dice with all my favorite "Boot Key Harbor Babes!"
[I think I see T-shirts in the making...]
The new Ship O' Fools...great party platform!

It took a concerted effort & VICE GRIPS to get the Vodka open.














Saturday came as an extension of my birthday celebration...but I had to share a bit of the limelight with a fellow Capricorn/harbor resident who was also having a birthday.  The good thing about sharing, was I also got to partake in the oyster fest that was planned for his big day.  At noon at the Tiki Hut, a 50 pound box of oysters arrived fresh from Apalachicola and we started shucking.  We made quick work of the mollusks and when the box was empty, we all headed to Dockside, a local restaurant accessible by dinghy from the harbor.

Little did we know, but another birthday treat was on it's way to our table...

...a giant platter of stone crab claws!


I carefully cracked my share into my bowl of butter, topped it with a squeeze of lemon, and made "mmmmm" noises as I slurped down the sweet, tasty treat.

Another unexpected treat came when we realized that the entertainment for the evening was our good friend, Dan Sullivan.

[Click here for a video of Dan that night.]

What a great time with a whole table full of friends!

Sunday morning came and when I had to go to work, Jeff announced that my birthday was over.  But that's alright, I had a great time while it lasted!


1 comment:

aunt karen said...

Well, it probably won't happen, but .... i want to come on "MY Birthday!" sounds like a great time of celebrating! as always, Thanks for sharing! Love you all!