Friday, August 21, 2009

Walking to Pigeon Key

I did quite a bit of walking when I was in North Carolina for a couple of different reasons. First off, it wasn't as hot as it was in the Keys and getting outdoors for a little exercise didn't seem like such a dreadful thing to do. Secondly, there was a beautiful park near my mother's - The Bog Garden - which made walking a special treat. And lastly, it was a great thing to do with Maddie especially in the hour or so before lunch. I'd slather her up with baby sunscreen, slap a hat on her blond little head, and strap her into her new red push car.
On one of our outings, we rescued a woman who had inadvertently locked herself in her backyard. The large plastic wheels on Maddie's new ride make the same noise as dragging a garbage can down the street. The woman heard us coming and started yelling. Maddie also seemed to enjoyed the ample opportunities to practice her Parade Float Beauty Queen Wave to the mailman, and the landscapers and roofers working in the neighborhood.

Now that I am back, I am trying to keep the walking habit alive. Marathon offers a unique, scenic walking opportunity: the old Seven Mile Bridge. It spans 2 miles to Pigeon Key and crosses over the channel that connects the Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Straits. It has been closed to automobile traffic since 1982 with the completion of the new bridge which runs parallel.
The first day I walked a mile out and then back. The next day, a mile and a half and back.
The wind was a force to be reckoned with both days and the walk back took both more time and effort.

I walked the entire span on the third day, with the palm laden key being the reward at the end of the road. Pigeon Key is an interesting place steeped in an interesting history.

It was originally a work camp for Henry Flagler's Florida East Coast Railroad and the 8 buildings on it are all on the National Register of Historic Places...one of which has been turned into a small museum with pictures and artifacts detailing the key's colorful past. Last year, Jeff and I attended the music festival on the island and we look forward to it again this year. [Information for the Music Festival to be available soon on the Pigeon Key Foundation website.] Weather pending, we'll be taking the boat and anchoring a short distance away.
So, my plan is to walk to Pigeon Key several times a week, gradually building up my distance by adding the surrounding sidewalks and steps. Luckily for me, I have had company on several of my treks...Tim, a fellow marina resident...which makes the time go faster and more enjoyably.


And on a completely random note, this is the chicken I baked for dinner last night. I thought it was pretty enough to have it's picture taken all stuffed with red potatoes, baby carrots, celery, onion, and lemon slices & it tasted even better. Just because we live on a boat doesn't mean we don't eat well!

No comments: