Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Boat Noodles

Living on a boat can sometimes be a challenge
when it comes to managing power, especially
when it comes time to cook dinner. Do I run
the generator so that I can run an electrical appliance [and heat up the boat] or do I use the grill or the propane stove? Right now, because we are plugged into the dock, I use the toaster oven, rotisserie, and microwave at will, but that will change when we move back out to a mooring ball.
At that point, propane will be the cooking fuel of choice.
I recently discovered a product at the grocery that was not only delicious, but lends itself to a live-aboard's sensibility as well. While looking for lo-Mien noodles for a recent night's dinner I found Tinkyada white rice spaghetti. The cooking instructions were simple yet intriguing:

**Cook 1 -2 minutes in boiling water. Switch off stove. Cover pot for about 20 minutes. Ready to serve.**

No extra propane.
No extra heat in the boat.
And the noodles promised to be "not mushy al dente," and "extra smooth."
And do you know what?
They were just as promised with a slightly chewy texture and light flavor.
I probably wouldn't have tried the rice pasta if I weren't making an oriental dish, but I thought they were great and wish that more of their products were available at my grocery store such as lasagna noodles and elbow macaroni.
Next time, I'll try the brown rice spaghetti, but between the flavor, texture, and energy saving cooking method this may be the only brand of noodle I buy again.

3 comments:

Angela said...

So ... it's ramen. :)

Just Misty said...

Not quite...ramen are made from flour and don't have this quality texture. Plus, packaged ramen noodles are deep fried to dry the pasta and give them their shape whereas, this is simply just good pasta made from rice.

Anonymous said...

Ew! I didn't know Ramen was deep fried.