Thursday, September 24, 2009

Changes

As of the Equinox on Tuesday, fall has fallen even if the temperatures here have not. Although there are no visible signs of the change in seasons, something in my psyche has noticed the shift and has manifested itself in my cocktail preference. Normally, rum would be the drink of choice here in the islands. Boats and rum have gone hand in hand throughout history ever since the Royal Navy captured Jamaica in 1655 and made rum part of the daily rations. But rum isn't what flows into my cups these days. Since the arrival of Autumn, I've switched to bourbon.
Maybe it was remembering touring Woodford Reserve Distillary with family while the leaves were changing colors or maybe it was the season opening UofL vs. UK game...always a good day for sipping bourbon no matter who wins although, I am very disappointed to add that UofL lost 27 - 31. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part that by switching to my cool weather cocktail the weather will have to follow suit.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, Cheers! A Manhattan is my drink of choice. About U of L -- at least we did not embarrass ourselves.

timmybanse said...

"My daddy always said never trust a man who doesn't drink bourbon and branch. . ." - Effie Mae, Georgia woodcutter and the love of my life.