Friday, September 25, 2009

Let Him Eat Cake!

So, I told Jeff I'd make him a cake today. It was totally my idea although right now, I'm wishing I had just kept my mouth shut. I am not a baker. I do not follow directions well...if ever. What was I thinking?
It all started because someone sent me a link to a blog that I might like. Well, I did like the blog. The latest entry was about cake [among other things]. I was inspired. I had also brought home from the buying club a whole bag of kiwis. New Zealand kiwis - as if there were any other kind. What am I going to do with a whole bag of kiwis? Ah, ha, I thought, "I'll make a kiwi-pineapple upside down cake!" Jeff loves pineapple upside down cake...it's his favorite and he hasn't had one since the last time his Momma made him one. I decided I would do it on Friday, and never gave it another thought. But now it's Friday...cake-making day. So, I looked back at the recipe that started the whole thing. It required separating eggs. Why, if all the parts are going into the mix anyway, must I separate them first? Eegads. It also required baking powder...is that anything like baking soda? I have baking soda...powder is a stretch. A mixer? Forget about it. My egg whites will have to remain un-stiffened. Alright, plan B. I ran for the nearest search engine and typed in "easy pineapple upside down cake recipe."
Ah...cake mix! Long live Betty Crocker!
But I still have my doubts. There's that whole topping thing...which is currently the bottom thing. It's brown. And gooey. And I just don't know.
I'm going to go stare at it though the oven door...that should help.

No comments: