Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Veggie Tales

Yesterday we received our 2nd box of organic produce. I went to pick it up at Food for Thought, the locally owned and operated health food store and went early so that I could volunteer to help divy out the shares of veggies. When I first arrived at 12:30, the truck was not yet there, so I ran another errand and came back. Still no truck, so I browsed around the store. While I was glancing at greeting cards, there was a knock on the back door. The produce had arrived and in the door it came by the box full.

Boxes of cabbage, romaine lettuce, dandelion greens, cilantro, greenbeans, apples, bananas, poblano peppers, limes, roma tomatoes, strawberrries, advocados, delicato squash, kiwis, nectarines, and a very large bag of carrots soon littered the floor of the small storeroom.
Now the fun part: dividing everything into 18 equal shares. We [there was one other volunteer] started off in one corner of the room with as many empty boxes as we could muster and started dolling out veggies. We had 8 boxes done before the first person showed up to collect their share. We made a little more room, emptied some half-full boxes, and kept on parcelling produce.

It took about 2 hours to finish, then I took my box and headed back to the boat - stopping by the grocery on the way to pick up a pork roast for dinner...gotta have some meat to go with all those fresh new veggies!

So, now all I have to do is figure out what we're having for dinner for the next 2 weeks to incorporate all these vegetables & fruits. We'll be eating a lot of squash and I see stuffed poblano peppers and dandelion green tacos in our future!